Oregon Department of Human Services | Benefits and Assistance

Department of Human Services logo

Apply online or call your local office before applying in person. Many of our rules have changed because of the state of emergency. Please call your local office for help with any questions.

 Food, Cash and Child Care

Apply for food, cash and child care assistance in one place.

Food/Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
  • SNAP benefits can be used to buy food
  • People with low incomes are eligible
  • Access SNAP benefits on an Oregon Trail card that can be used like a debit card
  • Maximum benefits in September for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) customers
    • To help with continued impacts to the COVID-19 pandemic, SNAP customers will get the maximum amount of monthly benefits in September
    • Maximum benefit amounts are based on the number of eligible people in the household
Number in Household 1 2 3 4 5 Each Additional Person
Maximum Benefit $194 $355 $509 $646 $768 +$146
    • Extra payments will be issued for:
      • September 11 for all current SNAP households not receiving SNAP maximum allotment
      • September 30 for SNAP households not receiving SNAP maximum allotment that did not receive an emergency allotment on September 11
    • If you already get the maximum benefits you will not get an extra payment.

Cash Assistance
Cash benefits are available through:
  • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) - for pregnant women and families with low income
  • Refugee Program – for individuals who have a qualifying refugee status. Individuals are eligible for benefits for up to eight months after their qualifying refugee status was granted
  • Can be used as cash on your Oregon Trail Card, with some limitations
Child Care/Employment Related Day Care (ERDC)
  • Helps low-income working families pay for childcare
  • Increased income limits and $0 copay amounts during state of emergency
  • ERDC can pay for registration fees

 Benefits for children who receive free or reduced price school meals

Oregon families with children who are eligible for free or reduced price school meals will get pandemic food (P-EBT) benefits. This includes children in foster care, children of migrant workers and homeless youth.

Note: Families are eligible for P-EBT benefits even if they have been getting meals from schools or other sources during the school closures. This means families who receive P-EBT benefits can also get meals from schools or other sources during the school closures.

You will get P-EBT benefits if your child is eligible for free or reduced price school meals at a school that participates in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP).
  • If you are a current SNAP participant, or have an active Oregon Trail card on record, P-EBT benefits will be added to your Oregon Trail Card account.
  • New cards will be mailed to households with no open SNAP and without an active EBT card on record.

Families will receive the following P-EBT benefits for each child:
  • $69 for March
  • $126 in April
  • $120 in May
  • $69 in June
Families will get P-EBT benefits for the months they are eligible for free or reduced price meals. For example:
  • A family that was getting free or reduced price meals before the school closures, would get $384 in P-EBT benefits for each child.
  • A family that applied for free or reduced price meals in May could get $189 in P-EBT benefits per child.

To see if the Oregon Department of Education has received addresses from their school district, visit their page.

To see where DHS is in processing the P-EBT cards, click here.

You can spend P-EBT the same as Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits. Find information here about what SNAP benefits can be used for.

P-EBT benefits can also be used:
  • For online food purchases through Amazon and Walmart (delivery fees not included).
  • In the Double Up Food Bucks program, which matches every $1 of benefits spent – up to $10 – on fresh fruit and vegetables at participating local farmers markets.

The application period for P-EBT closed June 30, 2020. Although you may not be eligible for P-EBT benefits, you can still apply for free or reduced price school meals for your child ahead of the 2020-21 school year. Apply for free or reduced price meals online or contact your local school for other ways to apply.

No. You do not need to apply.
  • If you are a current SNAP participant, P-EBT benefits will be added to your Oregon Trail Card.
  • If you don’t currently receive SNAP benefits, you will access your P-EBT benefits through an Oregon Trail Card. If an active Oregon Trail Card is not on record for you, one will be mailed to you.

No. P-EBT benefits are not considered in a public charge test.

Please see the P-EBT Foster Family Information sheet for details.

 Domestic Violence Assistance

For families whose safety is at risk due to domestic violence. Most often this is when domestic violence survivors are fleeing domestic violence or are at risk of returning to an abusive situation. Can help pay for:
  • Relocation costs. For example, deposits for rent and utilities, replacement of items left behind like clothes and furniture.
  • Items that help address safety. For example, new locks, security cameras or post office boxes.
Assistance will vary based on your situation; your worker will explain how benefits can be used

For safety planning, referrals to local programs and to find service providers: The National Domestic Violence Hotline is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can contact an advocate:
  • By phone at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233), or 1-800-787-3224 (TTY)
  • Through the Hotline website chat feature

 Foster Families

Families and youth impacted by foster care may request support from My NeighbOR, a project through Every Child and in partnership with Oregon Department of Human Services. Please connect with your caseworker to submit a need.

Those interested in donating to help a foster family can visit https://everychildoregon.org/donate/


The Oregon Health Plan (OHP) provides health care coverage for Oregonians from all walks of life. This includes working families, children, pregnant women and single adults.

Apply for OHP and learn about OHP benefits.

For additional resources, contact 211info:

Call 211
Text your zip code to 898211

Accessibility: Everyone has a right to know about and use Oregon Department of Human Services (DHS) programs and services. DHS provides free help. Some examples of the free help DHS can provide are: sign language and spoken language interpreters, written materials in other languages, Braille, large print, audio and other formats. If you need help or have questions, please contact us at ADA.dhs@dhsoha.state.or.us.

Updated on September 25th, 2020 07:34AM